Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:08:25 -0800

Raphael Jacquot writes:

> Eric Blossom wrote:
>
> >So, essentially, the government wants your future TV, TiVo,
> >computer, cell phone, Final Cut Pro, (input your favorite analog
> >signal viewing / converting device here) to respond to the Bat
> >Signal.
>
> hmmm, sounds like the broadcast flag all over again, just a different
> incarnation of it

It's not the broadcast flag.  This proposed regulation and the broadcast
flag regulation were born together; they are siblings.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/content_protection.pdf

The broadcast flag regulation applied to demodulating ATSC signals.
This analog hole regulation would apply to digitizing or recording
baseband analog video signals.  Both of these are seen as "holes" by the
entertainment industry because they are lawful means of acquiring
Hollywood movies without a legal regime that allows movie studios to
determine the functionality of the sink device.

Compare

http://www.wipo.org/documents/en/meetings/1999/wct_wppt/pdf/imp99_3.pdf

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | This is a new focus for the security