[Discuss-gnuradio] --width-8 in usrp_fft.py causes spectral artifact whe

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] --width-8 in usrp_fft.py causes spectral artifact when using --waterfall
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:44:38 -0500

I just upgraded to the latest tarballs, and happily noticed that usrp_fft.py now includes a waterfall display.

I also noticed the --width-8 option to use 8-bit, rather than 16-bit samples. While width-8 seems to work in plain spectral display, it leaves a *strong* artifact in the waterfall display. Perhaps the waterfall
 sink block hasn't been updated to handle 8-bit data?

Also, there used to be a parameter you could set to control spectral averaging in FFT display-- something-mumble-alpha. I can't find it anymore, and it would be really nice if I could
 turn on spectral averaging.

I finally got my USRP mounted in a permanent cabinet, with an internal power-supply. [The junkpile at work had a number of SCSI external disk drive boxes lying around from the late 1980s, so I grabbed one, since it had a power-supply and cooling fan].