Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error during "make" gr-usrp

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error during "make" gr-usrp
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 16:30:48 -0500

As Eric mentioned, the USB support for MacOS X isn't up to speed yet. I have been playing around with both libusb's "darwin" and USRP's "fusb_darwin" codes over the holidays, with no success (though some changes I will eventually provide since they are either bug fixes or augments for MacOS X 10.4). I will post an email soon regarding my efforts (or success, if that happens), in the hope that someone might have "been there and done that" before and can offer suggestions; a quick summary would be "it's either really trivial but difficult to find, or really trick and difficult to find". There seems to be no issue with transport at 2 MBps, usually not for 4 MBps (but sometimes, yes), but nothing beyond that ... it's as if the Mac's USB controller isn't being set to "480 Mbps" ("high speed" according to Apple's documentation) mode.

gr-audio-osx is being tested at UND, and I'll release a first version sometime soon. BTW: Either this should be renamed "gr-audio-darwin" or the "darwin" named codes and references in (e.g.) USRP should be renamed "osx". I believe the latter is the proper naming solution, as the audio and USB support are provided in OSX libraries which (to the best of my knowledge and understanding) are not part of darwin.I just updated my local gr-build copy, and can confirm that those modules compile and install without error in the order listed. I use DarwinPorts for all the background stuff.