Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error during "make" gr-usrp

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error during "make" gr-usrp
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 14:43:10 -0800

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 04:30:48PM -0500, Michael Dickens wrote:
> a quick summary would be "it's either really trivial but
> difficult to find, or really trick and difficult to find".  There
> seems to be no issue with transport at 2 MBps, usually not for 4 MBps
> (but sometimes, yes), but nothing beyond that ... it's as if the
> Mac's USB controller isn't being set to "480 Mbps" ("high speed"
> according to Apple's documentation) mode.

I am almost certain that the problem is that you are not submitting
multiple asynchonous requests to the USB subsystem.  This 4MB/sec
"limit" is what we are also seeing on NetBSD, which is also (at this
time) lacking a method to stream multiple bulk requests.

Since the existing libusb darwin/osx implementation issues non-blocking
bulk reads and writes, but then immediately blocks waiting for them to
complete, it does seem that we have all the bits and pieces that we
need to construct a fusb_osx.

> gr-audio-osx is being tested at UND, and I'll release a first version
> sometime soon.  BTW: Either this should be renamed "gr-audio-darwin"
> or the "darwin" named codes and references in (e.g.) USRP should be
> renamed "osx".  I believe the latter is the proper naming solution,
> as the audio and USB support are provided in OSX libraries which (to
> the best of my knowledge and understanding) are not part of darwin.

OK.  Is there consensus among the mac folks that globally changing
"darwin" to "osx" is the appropriate action?

Eric