Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Yet another installation problem

From: Geoffrey Bunza
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Yet another installation problem
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:23:13 -0800

Addendum to my last email:
I found that using precompiled RPM's for the Fedora Core 4 installation was asking for problems, so as a new rule, I am avoiding them were possible. Also The default gcc provided with FC4 is gcc 4.0 which reputedly failed with Gnuradio (I am still checking this out-- more later) so I compiled gcc3.4.3 with the gcc4.0 compiler and used that in the successful install. Just let it install into /usr/local and make sure your search path finds it.

Geoff

I've just completed successfully building Gnuradio for the USRP on Fedora Core 4...
after encountering a dozen or so problems, including this one.
Jon Jacky points you in the right direction. You need to have  ALL your environment variables set appropriately
before AND after building-- this is perhaps obvious to Linux experienced die hards -- and one of the many lessons
to be learned by us newly enlightened ones.

Take a close look at KD7LMO's excellent web site:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ground_gnuradio_gnu.html
and D Shen's great site at:
http://www.nd.edu/~dshen/GNU/

Pay close attention to the build scripts at KD7LMO for building Gnuradio in your home directory-- it's preferable IMHO. But also look carefully at the highlighted block on the page at:
http://www.kd7lmo.net/ground_gnuradio_install.html
for environment variable setups. In Fedora 4 if you use bash (the default shell) you'll need to set yours up translated to  appropriate bash script.
The big lesson for me has consistency in the entire process (once all variables were accounted for) and double check that everything is in place before you start.

I hope this is of some help.
These sites and the group doc, together with this group's archives, are of tremendous value.

Geoff Bunza

Elaine Garbarine wrote:
This time I'm attempting a Red Hat install of GNU Radio and I've got the
core and gr-wxgui installed without any problems.  I've also got the usrp
module installed with no errors or issues.

make[1]:***No rule to make target '/swig/gnuradio.i', needed by 'usrp0.cc'.
Stop

Has anyone come across this before?
-Elaine