Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Port Error

From: Stephane Fillod
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Windows Port Error
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:02:26 +0100

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:48:49PM -0500, Robert Roberts wrote:
> I have tried installing your GNURadio for Windows binaries following
> the instructions posted on Martins website.

BTW, Martin, do you have any plan in packaging a GNU Radio 2.6 release
for Windows on CDROM ? I can help you if need be. Are there any
other volunteers for this task lurking on the list? Any beta-testers?

What about the Knoppix CDROM and GNU Radio 2.6 ?

> When I go to run dial_tone.py I get the following error:

Actually, you should have run the "make check" first, which
should have caught the problem. Maybe you did already?

> C:\gnuradio-examples-0.4\python\audio>dial_tone.py
> gr_vmcircbuf_mmap_createfilemapping: non contiguous mmap 01330000
> 01330000 00010000 01340000
> gr_vmcircbuf_sysv_shm: sysv shared memory is not available
> gr_vmcircbuf_mmap_mkstemp: mmap or shm_open is not available
> gr_vmcircbuf_mmap_tmpfile: mmap or mkstemp is not available
> gr_vmcircbuf_sysconfig: unable to find a working factory!

The fact under Windows is the virtual memory circular buffer (vmcircbuf)
is not as reliable as under Linux and other *nix-like systems.
The gr_vmcircbuf_mmap_createfilemapping method heuristically
trys to map a file area twice, hopping both mapping will be contiguous.
The few retrys may not get through sometimes. It's nasty.

Can you please try to run several times the test_vmcircbuf.exe program
and see if it always fails?

> Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?   I am going to try to
> install it on another machine here in a little while also.

What version of Windows are you running ? What CPU ? How much memory?

Cheers,
--
Stephane