[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?

From: michael taylor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Do I need a FCC license?
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:05:02 -0500

On 1/9/06, Eunsoo Seo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, guys. I'm a newbie.
> I'm planning to buy some USRPs and start learning gnu radio.
> By the way, somebody told me that I need a license from FCC to use gnu radio.
> And he said that getting a license is not the manufacturer's duty but mine.
> Is this true?
> Do you guys have licenses?

The FCC requires licenses for users of "intentional radiators"
(devices designed to emit RF) in many cases (broadcast, amateur,
experimental, fixed mobile service, etc.) , unless the device has been
approved as meeting a classification of license except device (e.g.
Part 15 devices such as 802.11 wireless cards, RF garage door
openers). The device acceptance would be the responsibility of the

Matt Ettus's USRP is sold as test equipment, and given the low level
(I believe 10 or 100 mW of RF is the highest emission from any of the
current daughter cards from Matt) this is not a concern IMHO without
the usage of high gain antenna or power amplification.

FCC rules

FCC Wireless Telecommunications Bureau

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]