Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio on Windows

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio on Windows
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:34:15 -0800

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:12:10PM +0100, Martin Dvh wrote:

> > Perhaps not enough buffering? Having source/sink in threads helps sometimes.
> > Martin will have better insight on the topic.
> The code needs fixing but I haven't spend much time on optimizing it yet.
> I think it does has something to do with threads. Maybe another buffer layer
> or number of buffers (pingpong) will fix it.
> Put the windows_audio sink in another thread will probably help, but I don't
> know howto.
>
> I just copied the ideas for the windows_audio driver from other GPL'ed
> windows audio projects.
>
> The windows_audio driver also needs an audio_source implementation.
>
> An other solution would be to implement a direct_audio driver (directX audio)
> in stead of fixing this.
> I suspect you would have much less synchronisation issues.
>
> A quick-and-dirty solution test would indeed be to increase the audio-buffer.
> (You need to build from source to test this)
>
> An even more quick and dirty test is to change the default value for all
> buffers between blocks.
> (Can be done after install)
> change the value for self.fixed_buffer_size in
> C:\Python24\site-packages\gnuradio\flow_graph.py
> line50:        self.fixed_buffer_size = 32*1024
> Change this to a higher/lower value and see what it does for you.
> The default is 32*1024 which means 32 kByte
> Note that this value is for ALL blocks, so you might break things when you
> make it too low and slow things down when you make it too high.
>
> greetings,
> Martin

I don't think changing the flow graph buffering is going to make any
difference.  I think that the "right answer" is build a very
high-functioning audio sink/source using portaudio.  It's on my list,
but if somebody else wants to do it, please do (talk to me.  I've got
some ideas.)  Using the portaudio CVS version 19 stuff, there is now good
support for windows, and under ALSA and jack under Linux.  It's also
supposed to work under OS/X using CoreAudio.

Eric