Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio on Windows

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio on Windows
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:51:44 -0800

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:46:50PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> > I don't think changing the flow graph buffering is going to make any
> > difference.  I think that the "right answer" is build a very
> > high-functioning audio sink/source using portaudio.  It's on my list,
> > but if somebody else wants to do it, please do (talk to me.  I've got
> > some ideas.)  Using the portaudio CVS version 19 stuff, there is now good
> > support for windows, and under ALSA and jack under Linux.  It's also
> > supposed to work under OS/X using CoreAudio.
>

> There hasn't been any official releases since the 30 June 2003 with V18.1. Do
> you think its a good idea to use the CVS version?
>
> No releases usually means an unacceptable status of the current work unfit
> for
> public release.

Could be.  On the other hand it appears that good work is being done
in CVS.  Lots of activity on their mailing lists.  Not sure why they
haven't made a release yet.  The V18.1 stuff will not solve our
problem, so I see zero reason to even consider it.  I'm hoping to
handle *all* audio issues on *all* platforms with a single
gr-audio-portaudio module.  [ I could be dreaming, but hey, that's what
portaudio is supposed to do ;) ]

If we find that their CVS works for us on all platforms we care about,
then we talk to the developers and see what it would take to get them
to make a V19 official release.  Perhaps nobody's asked them in a few
years ;)

Eric