[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Opinions on best choice for project...

From: michael taylor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Opinions on best choice for project...
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:51:15 -0500

On 2/16/06, Jovan Mostanovski <address@hidden> wrote:
>         I'm doing a uni project which entails me building an RF data comms
> network. The network must facilitate communications between many nodes
> and a single main hub, node to node communications is not required. The
> nodes can be moving, may be implemented in an aeroplane, car, etc.
> The network must be able to operate over very long distances, past line
> of site. Therefore must use ionospheric bouncing to achieve this. Hence,
> the nodes and hub must be able to select the best frequency for
> communication. In addition to this, I must design a protocol which

If you plan to do any field testing, you may need a license. For
strictly non-commercial use (i.e. your university project) an amateur
radio license may be the best choice. I do not have any details on
licensing in Australia but most students (e.g. in US and Canada) with
some physics or engineering knowledge can study and pass an exam in a
weekend. Check with the Wireless Institute of Australia
<http://www.wia.org.au/> for details. Local amateurs (hams) may be
willing to help you, see if there is a uni amateur radio group.

I do not know of any HF frequency (bounce off the ionosphere)
license-free or license except TX/RX modules with built in modems.
Most of the devices I have seen are UHF and higher (~440MHz ISM band
in US/Canada or 1.2GHz) and low power (typically <= 100mW).


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]