Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Opinions on best choice for project...

From: michael taylor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Opinions on best choice for project...
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:30:17 -0500

On 2/18/06, Jovan Mostanovski <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael, thanks for the link. I've checked that out, and I think it's a
> good idea that I get an amateur radio licence, as the frequencies that I
> require for long distance communications (~2 - 30Mhz)

Sounds good.

> that I need the main node to communicate with many client nodes. From
> what I understand, HAM protocols allow point to point communications
> only?

One common digital amateur (ham) protocol is AX.25
<http://www.tapr.org/pub_ax25.html> which does allow broadcasts (point
to multipoint operation). There is plenty of free software available
that supports AX.25, including the Linux kernel and userland tools
<http://ax25.sourceforge.net/>.