[Discuss-gnuradio] Microwave modules receive converter available

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Microwave modules receive converter available
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:49:43 -0500

I have a dual-range 432Mhz to 28Mhz receive converter. It's dual range, covering 432-434 and 435-437Mhz, translating down to 28Mhz. They were popular with UHF EME types to use with high-quality HF rigs, but VHF and UHF multi-mode rigs have now gotten quite good, so receive converters aren't quite so popular as in the 1980s when
 I used this for high-speed packet.

The unit is made by Microwave Modules (are they still in business?), and it uses a crystal-controlled LO. I don't know what the conversion-gain is, but perhaps 30-40dB? [There's about 7 transistors on the circuit board]. The noise figure will, of course, be terrible, so you'd need to put a good-quality LNA in front of it for any weak-signal work. It worked two years ago when I tested it. You'll need to find a power connector for it, or re-do
 the power entry.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know. I can package it up, and send it on the slow boat...

-Marcus