Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modem and/or ADSL Daughter card

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Modem and/or ADSL Daughter card
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:40:52 -0400

Lamar Owen wrote:

Yeah, just one: 47 CFR Part 68. As in FCC regulations on items that can be connected to the PSTN. A part 68 interface card that could be used to provide an interface to an LFRX/LFTX pair would be ideal.

Marcus can elaborate, being that he is employed in that field.
Just because I work for a "traditional" telecom equipment vendor doesn't
 mean I know anything about "traditional" telecom equipment :-)

But I strongly suspect that you'd need to get "type approval" of any device
 you plan to connect to the PSTN.

Unlike the airwaves, where ham radio operators are free to put experimental
 devices on the air, within their allocated bands, without type approval.

[That's not to say that hobbiests haven't been connecting "experimental" devices to the PSTN for decades. It's just that if you want to bring an actual device to "market", the feds will land pretty hard if that device isn't type approved for that particular application].

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145