Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Assertion Error when running gnuradio examples

From: Thomas Schmid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Assertion Error when running gnuradio examples
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:00:56 -0700

Hi Michael,

On 5/20/06, Michael Ford <address@hidden> wrote:
Thomas,

Yes, the firmware loaded correctly, as the frequency of the blinking
lessened as I ran the oscilloscope example. As a matter of fact, the
frequency never went back up again, even afte I closed the oscilloscope
application. Is that a bad sign?

That is fine since you need to load the firmware only if you unplugged the USRP.

As for thr configuration, I'm using a tranceiver daughterboard. One of the
antenna inputs is marked TX/RX, the other is simply marked RX. I'm not at
the office right now, but if you need more specific information, please let
me know what you need and I'll run back up there and find out - it's only a
10 minute walk away.

Which daughterboards are you using? Oh, just saw it in the script. You
use the RFX2400 which accepts only the frequencies in the 2.4-2.5 GHz
(as was mentioned before). Thus, if you specify 101.4, it will not be
able to use that daughterboard and thus the assert failes.

Finally, as I said before, I'll be implementing CSMA/CA, so I'll be spending
alot of my time in the gmsk2 directory. Are these examples essential to the
completion of my ultimate goal? Do these assertion errors pose a significant
threat to my real plan?

No, the assertion errors are no problem if you specify the right
frequency ;) Go and have a look in the source files where the assert
fails. That might help you understand it better.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thanks for your thoughtful/helpful reply,
-Michael Ford-

On 5/20/06, Thomas Schmid <address@hidden > wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> GNURadio is under active development. Therefore, file names can change
> and thus tutorials don't reflect the latest changes until they are
> updated. The two file syou found, std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf and
> std_4rx_0tx.rbf, are two different versions for the USRP firmware. the
> first one has two rx and to tx paths, the second one has 4 rx and no
> tx.
>
> When the oscilloscope run, did you see a change in the LED on your
> USRP, i.e., did it first blink fast, and once the oscilloscope was
> running it blinked slower? If, then everything is fine. If not, then
> follow the installation instructions here:
> http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall
> except that I think we are at rev4 for the firmware now, instead of rev2.
>
> The exception you get is probably because you have the wrong
> daughterboard in your USRP. What is the configuration you are using?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas
>
> On 5/20/06, Michael Ford < address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm a first time poster who's generally new to SDR as well as the
gnuradio
> > software. I've recently taken a course in communication networks and
> > wireless networks, and this summer I'm working on using a few USRP
boards to
> > implement my own CSMA/CA protocol. However, before I get into the meat
of
> > that project, I've got to make sure that all my board setups are
correct.
> > Forgive me, this is going to be a mouthful.
> >
> > First things first - after visiting Dawei Shen's tutorials at the
GNURadio
> > website, I found that some of the instructions there were inconsistent
with
> > the files I got in the package - specifically tutorial number 4. I've
> > installed the gnuradio package, and when reading the usrp tutorial, I'm
told
> > to make sure that I have a file called usrp_fpga_rev2.rbf in the
> > /usr/local/share/usrp/rev2/ directory. (Which reminds me, if it helps,
I'm
> > running Ubuntu Dapper Drake) However, in the usrp package that I
download
> > from the gnuradio download page, I don't find that file, but instead I
find
> > two files called std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf and std_4rx_0tx.rbf. My first concern
is,
> > why don't I find the files I was told I'd find?
> >
> > My second concern still involves the 4th tutorial. I'm told to run
> > usrp_oscope.py in the
> > gr-build/gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/ directory,
which
> > I'm told will bring up an oscilloscope, which it does, so I'm assuming
> > that's okay. Then I'm told to run wfm_rcv_gui.py [some fm frequency],
which
> > will let me hear fm signals. This is where my problem starts. First off,
> > that file doesn't exist. So I try a file with a similar name -
> > usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py -f 101.5. This gives me an assertion error, which
> > looks like this:
> >
> > Using RX d'board A: Flex 2400 Rx
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "./usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py", line 149, in ?
> >     fg = wfm_rx_graph()
> >   File "./usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py", line 105, in __init__
> >     if not(self.set_freq(options.freq)):
> >   File "./usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py", line 125, in set_freq
> >     r = self.u.tune(0, self.subdev, target_freq)
> >   File

"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
> > line 184, in tune
> >     return tune(self, chan, subdev, target_freq)
> >   File

"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.py",
> > line 122, in tune
> >     ok, baseband_freq = subdev.set_freq(target_freq)
> >   File

"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gnuradio/db_flexrf.py",