Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Intel Mac GNU Radio Install Update Soon

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Intel Mac GNU Radio Install Update Soon
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:19:38 -0400

On my install guide, check out the .tcshrc additions .. you can certainly port them to BASH or whatever. They represent very precisely what DarwinPorts and GNURadio need to compile and install under OSX (PPC or Intel). While you can do the install by hand, or via some custom method, I've found that DarwinPorts is quite reliable and the few issues can be easily overcome with some quick file mods.

Compare the environment variables to what you have, or I can easily do that and make suggestions ... just send me a "printenv" from your desired shell (off-list is probably best) ... weed out anything you feel is sensitive if you want, but I'll use discretion as necessary.

The FFTW folks got back to me.  Here is what they had to say:

        There are two known problems on the Intel Macs.

First, Apple's gcc 4.0.1 on Intel has a bug that causes it to crash when compiling our kernel/trig.c file ... the workaround is to compile this file without optimization:
    cd kernel; make CFLAGS=" " trig.lo

Second, our CPU detection currently doesn't work for that machine. You can manually force it to tune for the pentium-m (which seems to be the best option for now) by configuring --with- gcc-arch=pentium-m

I haven't tried out the configure option, but that looks like it might make things a bit easier.

Interesting. My testing found that the kernel/trig.c file just needed to be told the correct architecture (or no architecture), but leaving optimization was OK. I hadn't tried the --with-gcc- arch=pentium-m configure option, but I'll try that next time I have with an Intel-Mac around.

I have submitted patches to Eric to fix the .align issue - some compilers define that number in log2 while others use linear. I'd be happy to ship you my diff's if you have time to try them out.

Great!  I would be happy to.

They're appended. You need to put the M4 file into gnuradio-core/ config, then cd into gnuradio-core and do "patch -p0 < (wherever)/gr- core_cvs_diff_u.txt". Then you'll need to bootstrap, configure, and make in whatever way you usually do.

NOTE1: These are untested, but should work properly. If you decide to test them, please report back to me or the list if/how they work, and/or corrections if they don't work.

NOTE2: These changes affect -any- Intel-based computer, not just Mac's.

I have updated my install guide < http://www.nd.edu/~mdickens/ GNURadio/ > to include the latest changes for FFTW to compile using DarwinPorts on an Intel-Mac.

Great!  I'll try it out.

I appreciate any comments and feedback I can get on Mac installs. The scripts I have made work well for most people, though there are always exceptions - mostly due to strange shell environments or an old LIBTOOL version not working with Darwin.

Good luck! - MLD

ps> gr-audio-osx will be functional on an Intel-Mac in the next couple of days. I'm fixing bugs almost as I write. I'll post to the list when it's working better.