Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AGC

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AGC
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:01:43 -0700

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Matt Ettus wrote:
>
>> I don't have the agc code in front of me, but the definition
>> of the setpoint in important.  Assuming you make the setpoint 1,
>> and that the agc is setting the average (of either I or Q) to
>> the setpoint, the amplitude will go from 0 to 2, since this is AM.
>> You will need to subtract 1 so that you get a signal of +/- 1 for
>> the audio sink.

> Is that the case?  My brain can't seem to wrap around simple concepts today.

Matt, you're completely right.  Just adding a gr.add_const_ff(-1.0) to
the pipeline cleared it up and let the prior AGC stage operate at it's
default reference of 1.0:

# Convert baseband AGC'd (ref. val. 1.0) AM channel to audio floats
class am_demod(gr.hier_block):
    def __init__(self, fg):
        MAG = gr.complex_to_mag()
        DCR = gr.add_const_ff(-1.0)
        fg.connect(MAG, DCR)
        gr.hier_block.__init__(self, fg, MAG, DCR)

-Johnathan