Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Wired article
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:12:43 -0400

Matt Ettus wrote:

You are right that I believe there should be large public bands where _almost_ anything goes. I also think that eventually technology will allow us to make the entire spectrum that way. Why restrict one person's use if it does not reduce what someone else can do?

There really is a lot of work being done on the subject of open spectrum. A google search will point you towards some of the most interesting people and things going on.
Matt

Being both a radio astronomer, and staunch libertarian, I find myself personally conflicted on the subject :-)

I think the key (para) phrase is "as long as you do no harm". Clearly, allowing people to transmit in bands that are already set aside for certain astrophysical observation purposes (sometimes geographically-delimited,
 and sometimes not) would be a bad thing.

On the other hand, if 10.5 to 10.950 Ghz isn't in use around here, I ought to be able to use it for "personal communications".