Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandra

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Which LinuxOS to use?-->1.Unbuntu, Fedora, Mandrake, FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:42:06 -0400

Lamar Owen wrote:

I'm curious as to where you've found Fedora to be unstable, and what you mean by unstable. If it means "changes too much too quickly" then, yes, Fedora does do that. It's not unusual to get a couple hundred MB worth of updates in a week's time. GNUradio compiles and works fine on FC5, though.

I'm using GNUradio in production on CentOS 4 (based off Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 sources), and it is stable at this point. It is not an easy task getting it to build on CentOS 4, though. On FC5 the build was pretty painless, once I found an SDCC package that worked.
FC6 is just around the corner--the TEST1 release is already available. Sigh.

But with YUM, it's relatively painless to "keep up".

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145