Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Questions:)

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Questions:)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:21:41 -0700

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 04:44:53PM -0700, Quenton Bonds wrote:
> Hello everyone:)!
>
> I am a beginner to this GNU software radio world so please bare with me.
>
> I am trying to start sending and receiving signals using the software
> radio and the FLEX900 daughterboard.  I am working in baby steps in an
> effort to understand how to program the USRP to generate and send a signal.
>
> 0.  Is there a typical convention/process/procedure for generating
> generating, sending and receiving signals?

Yes.  Please take a look at gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/*.py

> My approach is:
> 1.  build and view a graph
> -- Can I view the "graph" image the signals will be placed?

Not sure what you mean by "view a graph".
We're using graph as in vertices and edges, not graph as in power point.

> 7.  Transmit the modulated signal
>
> 8.  Receive and view the modulated signal using the  OSCOPE and SA.
> 9.  Other than going through example code how do you know were to look
> for classes to do things such as generate;  sine waves, oscope, SA, etc...
> --I feel like I am just fishing for classes  here  and there without
> knowing exactly what I'm looking for.

You can generate documentation by:

  $ cd gnuradio-core
  $ ./configure --enable-doxygen
  $ make

Then point your browser at gnuradio-core/doc/html/index.html

Click on "Class Hierachy".  All the signal processing blocks are
derived from gr_block

This is out of date, but will give you an idea:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/hierarchy.html

Eric