Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The primary issue with the Lazy Viterbi Decoder

From: Bob McGwier N4HY
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The primary issue with the Lazy Viterbi Decoder
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:16:50 -0400

That is straightforward.

In High SNR,  the lazy algorithm is O(1)!!!

In low SNR, both the lazy algorithm and the traditional algorithm are both O(2^k) where k+1 is the constraint length.

It is not a simple relationship as the SNR falls off but in many of the cases we would consider, the lazy algorithm should be a win.

Bob

Matt Ettus wrote:
Michael Dickens wrote:

I'm working on programming the "Lazy" Viterbi (convolutional, maximum likelihood) decoder right now. See
< http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/599573.html >
< http://vanu.com/resources/publications/ 2002fast_maximum_likelihood_decoder.pdf >

Mike,

Can't help you with the algorithm, but could you say a few words on the advantages of Lazy Viterbi over normal Viterbi decoding?
Matt