Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:55:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, August 10, 2006 10:13, Greg Troxel wrote:

> How will the new structure affect upcoming releases?  NetBSD pkgsrc
> currently builds separate packages for each GNU Radio component, which
> lets one install them separately and also avoid dependencies for
> things you don't need.  Will this just be 'make dist' and a single
> tarball?

Er, yes.  That is, until you sent this email.

> (in a mutually exclusive and jointly exhaustive way).

> From that point of view, it
> would be nice to be able to enable and disable components and cause
> configure to fail if the dependencies are not satisfied.  The default
> behavior if not given --enable-foo can of course be
> build-if-prereqs-ok.

Eric and I discussed doing something like this but deferred it until we
got the new build stabilized.  We're pretty close to that point, modulo
some nits that keep showing up on certain platforms that I can't directly
test on.

To confirm:

What you're suggesting is to have an --enable-foo and --disable-foo per
component.  The --enable option would cause a build failure if
dependencies for that component were not satisfied.  The --disable option
would prevent that component from showing up in any make targets or
output.  The default without specifying either would be to enable the
component if possible (current behavior.)  I supposed you'd also need a
--disable-everything so you didn't have to --disable one by one to build a
single component.

This isn't that hard, but touches a lot of things. There is also some deep
voodoo going on to handle make check on a component when a dependent
component has not been installed yet (such as on a virgin build/install.)
I have to think a bit on how to handle this.

-Johnathan