Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:11:59 -0700

Michael,

thanks for your insights! The solution that Jonathan proposed addresses this very issue and works fine. I have annotated bug #26 with the other locations that need the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set while the tests are being run. This lets the make check pass on OSX, too. So I don't need you need to do anything further, as far as this is concerned, other than maybe testing it on your system, so we have the PPC version of OSX covered.

Thanks,
  Jan

Michael Dickens wrote:
I'm still compiling the new SNV stuff, for the purposes of debugging the install procedure & updating my install guide ... I don't have commit access yet as far as I know, so I can't change anything if I do find issues.

OSX libraries are created with a specific directory location as an attribute. So not only does the library have to be in the correct place (the attribute location), but if it's a non-standard location then the environment variable "DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH " must be set with that path in mind (as well as other paths, potentially, to get the load path correct). Setting this variable will -really- screw things up, so don't do it on a global basis. OTOH, for a local check, it is possible to create libraries with a local (tmp) path in mind, set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to that location, then do the "check" part of "make check".

I don't know if GNU Radio does all this stuff or not. Last time I remember, "make check" failed under OSX for just this reason ... the dyld's couldn't be found.

If nobody else has a fix for this issue, then I'll add it to my queue ... at a low priority for now since it's simple enough to "make install" then "make check" instead of the reverse. - MLD