Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files

From: Josh Jennings
Subject: Re: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:23:03 +0200

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the idea. This had started to dawn on me after I wrote the
email and was on my way home ;-)
Josh

On 8/15/06, Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:52:50PM +0200, Josh Jennings wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> Having thought about this a little more, I don't think this problem is
> limited to the osx-audio.
> I have tried this also on my osx:
> 1) convert a complex dat file to a num file for gnuplot
> 2) plot the num file in gnuplot
> On os x I get zeros for all the converted points from the dat file,
> therefore something seems corrupted.
> When I do the same on my linux, I get a good set of converted complex
> points in my num file and it shows up correctly in gnuplot.
>
> Here is a list of the files and commands I use for listening to audio
> and converting the dat file:

It's probably an "endianness problem".  The dat file is native binary
on whatever machine it was written on.  Most likely x86, thus
little-endian.  The PPC macs are big-endian.  Thus the problem.

Anybody know if the intel macs are big or little endian?

Eric