Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New help

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New help
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:25:03 -0700

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:40:23AM -0700, DJCarlson wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Sorry - hadn't finished subscribing!
>
> I'm new to GNU Radio - warning -  it has been many years since I've done
> much programing.  Anyway, I managed to get FC5 running on my Compact PC,
> downloaded gnu radio code via svn - most seemed to make.  I ran dial_tone.py
> and had a dial tone coming out of the speaker - victory!  So, I ordered usrp
> and some various Rx/Tx boards.

Welcome!

> With TVRx install and antenna attached, running usrp_wfm_rcv.py -f 107.9
> (from gnurdio-examples - WXKS in Boston - a strong station) I get a very
> weak, if any peak at 107.9 - and nothing from speakers - am I doing
> something dumb?  Oh - when I plug power in - I get the fast blinking LED -
> when program runs - changes to slow blink -

Does is say anything about "failed to set frequency"?

Do you have more than one Rx daughterboard installed, or just the TV_RX?

Try this:

  $ usrp_fft.py -f 107.9M -d 16

This should show you 4 MHz of spectrum centered on 107.9 MHz.
There should be a bunch of stations visible.

Try adjusting the gain, too.

What kind of antenna are you using?  I've had good luck with an
el-cheapo "FM dipole" from my local drug store, radio shack, etc.

Eric