[Discuss-gnuradio] Record the entire RF spectrum.

From: mat holton
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Record the entire RF spectrum.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:24:37 +0100

Hi there everyone,

I sent Eric and email asking if it was possible to record the entire spectrum and about the possibilities that would result if this was possible. After an excellent reply, I continued and he suggested I post here for more information. I would be very interested in the answers. Here's what I wrote:

you say: " "All" is hard to do, but you can record big pieces of the
spectrum."

So, theoretically, with the right equipment it would be possible? I.E.
the sampling rate but that could be fixed with a mega-fast computer that
could sample at immense frequencies? Or does a really high sample rate
still not produce the dynamic range necessary to capture all of the RF
spectrum? If not, what part of the recording process IS responsible for
the dynamic range?

If it is possible, and also assuming enough storage-space is available
(and the rate hard-drive capacity is increasing it's not difficult to
imagine), we could have amazing video/radio recorders - no need to set
the channel, just press record! awesome!

Or is the sheer amount of information way too much for this to ever be
likely? Surely not, RF 'capacity' is a fixed, finite number, whereas HD
capacity is increasing in a non-linear fashion. Or is it more
fundamental than that?

I'm really interested in the project as a whole though, and $550 rollers
doesn't sound a bad price for the necessary equipment. How accessible is
the project? I mean, I develop software for a living but not mega
low-level stuff. Is it a requirement to understand fully electronics?

Sorry for going on too much.

Thanks for your excellent reply,

Mat