Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Record the entire RF spectrum.

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Record the entire RF spectrum.
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 16:48:46 -0700

At 06:18 AM 8/30/2006, you wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:24 +0100, mat holton wrote:
> Hi there everyone,
>
> I sent Eric and email asking if it was possible to record the entire
> spectrum and about the possibilities that would result if this was
> possible. After an excellent reply, I continued and he suggested I post
> here for more information. I would be very interested in the answers.

That is what got me excited - in short, you can record an 8Mhz wide
band with the USB bus (minimum decimation of 64Mhz sample rate is 8).
That's one TV channel or 1/3 of the FM band. However it eats up disk
space pretty quick at that rate, about 50Gb every 15 minutes.
I use smaller pre-demodulation recording for practical ham and shortwave
listening - setup a good listening post to capture 640KHz (decim = 100)
of an 'event' (contests, sunspots, etc) then go dx'ing over and over
again ;). 6900 - 7500 KHz is one of my favorite bands, where you can get
pirates, hams, international broadcasters, utilities, spy numbers, a
time station, etc., and only uses about 20Gb/hour.

I tried using video tape in the late 80s as a poor man's wideband analog data recorder with some success. I wonder if the newer generation of D-VHS can be adapted to do more general digital data recording?

Steve