Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RDS
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:43:32 -0700

Hi Erlend,

I think you should be able to see the subcarrier with the USRP. The injection level of the RDS signal is typically around 1.5 to 2%, this is substantially less than the pilot, which is typically around 9%, but it should still be visible. Make sure you have a good signal without too much multipath. Also, you want to double-check whether the station you are looking at is indeed carrying RDS (not sure whether everybody does in Norway).

If you end up writing a decoder, please drop me a line. The American version of RDS, called RBDS, is (of course) slightly different. I'd be interested in helping to making sure that it will work on both sides of the Atlantic.

Cheers,
   Jan

Erlend Barstad Strand wrote:
Hi

I am trying to extend the usrp_wfm_rcv_pll.py by reading the RDS
subcarrier, however I have a problem observing the subcarrier at all. I
have connected a file_sink to the fm_demod in order to see the spectrum
in Matlab. In the spectrum I can observe the L+R, L-R and pilot tone,
but no RDS subcarrier at 57kHz.

Have anyone successfully seen this channel on broadcast FM?

Is it possible that the RDS subcarrier doesnt have enough power to be
oberved with the USRP board?

best regards
erlend