Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting started

From: Dan Halperin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help getting started
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:39:14 -0700

I've used the 2.4GHz RX/TX board, but I have since been using the Basic RX and Basic TX boards.

-Dan

Written wrote:
Hi Dan,

What daughterboards are you using?

Thanks,

Written

Dan Halperin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm just beginning grad school and trying to get my USRP board up and running so I can start playing. I've tested our equipment on two different machines now; one an older box running FC4, 512MB ram, with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz. I've also tried one on a newer laptop (compaq v3000 series) running Gentoo Linux, with 2GB of memory. I've had /all kinds/ of interesting phenomena:

I first tried installing the way on the old wiki http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral (first link on Google for USRP), and then again using the new say (svn source checkout using the instructions on the new wiki), on both machines. On the older machine, I don't get any rx/tx over/underruns (or maybe just one when initializing) and a throughput of 32MB/s in both directions, and on the laptop I get exactly 41 under/over runs with a throughput of ~31MB/s in the RX direction and around 24 in the TX direction. As far as I could tell, these used the same version of the source, but then again the SVN repository has jumped from rev. 3772 to rev. 3785 since yesterday morning.

Anyway, installation, make check, and the ./test_standard_?x scripts work fine (the LED behaves as expected and the benchmarks seem reasonable), however I get nothing when running the usrp_oscope or usrp_wfm_rcv scripts as directed in the instructions. Both dial tone scripts work fine, by the way. The scope and FM receive scripts run fine, but I hear just hear/see static. If I set the oscope to 900MHz and bring my cordless 900MHz phone around, there's no change in the scope. If I can the entire FM spectrum in the other script, I don't get anything but static anywhere. My little portable CD player can hear the radio just fine in this lab, so I figure the foot-long copper antenna that came with the USRP ought to as well. I don't know a lot about communications...

Also, the different test_digital_loopback and test_counting scripts seem to not work very well at all. I don't know if they're expected to, but about 50% of the tests that look vaguely "expected 517, got 0" fail.

Is there any advice you can offer as to how to determine what, if anything, is wrong here?

Thanks,

Dan