[Discuss-gnuradio] am_rcv.py

From: Eric Hill Matlis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] am_rcv.py
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hello-

I am attempting to demodulate an A.M. modulated signal using am_rcv.py, the USRP, an LFRX daughterboard, and the latest svn gnuradio distribution. At present the signal is being generated by a function generator (Stanford Research Systems Model DS345) with a 2 MHz carrier and a 5 kHz modulation. I have some questions about the demodulation being performed by the am_rcv.py program found in the examples directory for the usrp.

1) The first graph is labeled as "Pre-Demodulation", yet it is actually not representative of the original waveform as it has been downshifted to the offset frequency of 30 kHz (as I recall, there is an issue with the USRP that requires this 30 kHz offset, but I don't know the particulars about that, perhaps somebody can explain?). I would like to plot the original waveform. Is there a way of showing the fft of the original waveform with the carrier at 2 MHz and sidebands at 1.995 and 2.005 MHz?

2) While the second "Post Demodulation" graph correctly shows the sidebands at +/- 5 kHz, the decimation filters are aliasing the sideband in the "Post Filter" graph to 2.5 kHz. I have to reduce the "audio_decimation" from 2 to 1 to prevent this aliasing. Why would this be happening? The original final decimation of 2 produces an effective sampling rate of 32 kHz, which should be sufficient to resolve the sideband at 5 kHz.

3) What sets the limits on the axes of these graphs? Is it possible to modify them?

I am hopefully going to be using the USRP and gnuradio to demonstrate a sensor I am developing that produces AM modulated waveforms at the Division of Fluid Dynamics APS conference in November, so I would like to fine-tune this application as much as possible. There will be a booth for the commercial vendors at the meeting, and it would be cool if I could use Gnuradio at our display in this conference.

Thanks in advance,

eric

Eric H. Matlis, Ph.D.
Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering Dept.
120 Hessert Center for Aerospace Research
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5684
Phone: (574) 631-6054
Fax:   (574) 631-8355