Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Implementing Dicke switching

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Implementing Dicke switching
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:02:00 -0400

Matt Ettus wrote:

Dicke switches have typically used rates in the low hundreds of Hz, with
a 50% duty cycle.  My understanding is that is not necessary, and was
only done to make things easier with the electronics of the time.  I
think I would switch at a much lower rate, 1 Hz or less, and probably
use a calibration duty cycle on the order of 10%.  This way you can
easily throw out some samples on either side of the switch time without
having to worry too much.

Matt

Actually, the few-hundred-hz rate was chosen to improve the "fidelity" of the calculation--the more-often you look at the calibrator, the more precisely you can track gain fluctuations in the system gain. This assumes that the calibration
 source fluctuates to a much smaller degree than the total system gain.

I'm thinking of switching at a lower rate also, mostly because doing so is
 easy with existing infrastructure in the applications--there's already a
 1Hz timeout used for various housekeeping activities.

--
Marcus Leech                            Mail:   Dept 1A12, M/S: 04352P16
Security Standards Advisor        Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613 763 9145