Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software GPS receivers.

From: Trond Danielsen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software GPS receivers.
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:10:03 +0100

2006/10/30, Bob McGwier <address@hidden>:
Trond Danielsen wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> This is my first post to this list, so please correct me if I do
> something wrong.
>
> I have been watching the GnuRadio project for a while, and I must say
> that it is an impressive piece of work. I am currently doing a
> pre-study for my master thesis on building software defined GPS
> receivers using open source components. I read through the archives
> and discovered that some work has already been done. In that case I
> have a few questions:
>
> 1. What is the current state of the broad band RF frontend for GPS
> signals?
> 2. Has anyone looked more into using the GPStk for signal processing
> (http://gpstk.sf.net)
> 3. Would huge changes to the FPGA source code be required to support a
> gps receiver?
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you might find the
> project interesting.
>
> Best regards,
I have no idea how we missed this GPS toolkit site.  It is fantastic.

Bob

The plan was to use the GPStk for calculating the position solution
and for comparing with an alternative receiver. The GnuRadio Gnss
receiver would therefore only have to store the observables ( carrier
phase, doppler, etc) in RINEX format.

--
Trond Danielsen