Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Large RX Delay

From: Thomas Schmid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Large RX Delay
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:40:40 -0800

I use the outb command to change the parallel port. From what I read,
that command should have a delay of around 1 \mu s, not more. I am not
sure about the context switches, but I am almost sure that this is not
the problem. I don't run anything else on the machine (i.e., no other
heavy load process), and the machine is pretty powerfull (dual CPU,
dual core with huyper threading, that makes 8 CPU's under linux). If
it helps, I am running the stock Ubuntu 6.10 kernel (2.6.17-10-generic
#2 SMP Fri Oct 13 18:45:35 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux). Additionally, I
was able to measure the TX delay for burst transmission with a similar
technique to be in the order of a couple of hundred \mu s. This is why
I am wondering about the large RX delay.

Thomas

On 11/13/06, Daniel O'Connor <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tuesday 14 November 2006 11:33, Thomas Schmid wrote:
> First of all, I don't understand why we have such a high delay.
> Shouldn't it be more in the hundreds of /mu s instead of in the ms
> range? Second, why is the delay shorter for decimation 64, and again
> larger for a decimation of 256?

How many times a second is your OS switching process context?
How are you frobbing the parallel port? Does it involve a syscall?

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum