Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SWIG compilation speedup!
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:50:23 -0800

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 16:12 +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> I can't see the point for doing so. I don't care if its takes me 15 minutes
> or
> 30 minutes to compile all GNU Radio.

The biggest improvement isn't the compile time, it's the fact that the
memory working set for g++ when compiling the previous
gnuradio_swig_python.cc file was 650 MB.  This would cause massive swap
thrashing on machines with say, 512 MB of RAM, or less, and drive the
compilation time up to potentially hours.

I just tested the working set size and it comes up to 370 MB now.

In addition, the break up reduces the coupling of the different parts of
GR, so changes in (many) header files no longer trigger a complete
recompile.  For developers, we're doing this all day long, so its a
major time saver.

?

--
Johnathan Corgan, AE6HO