Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3

From: Steven Bible
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PlayStation 3
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:59:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

There's an article in Design News

 PS3: Fast and Cool
   http://designnews.com/article/CA6406738.html?nid=2321&rid=1205974513

I've had mine now for about 3 weeks.  It is an impressive machine.  It does get
warm and it draws a lot of current (I have it on a MONSTER power line filter
with voltage and current meter).

I am disappointed that when playing regular DVDs and PS2 games, the PS3 does
not do any up-onversion, it instead passes the signal as plan old 480.  But
when playing Blu-Ray and PS3 games, it is impressive.  However, the Blu-Ray
movies are not as vivid as I expected (say as compared to hi-def off-air
television or my up-converting DVD player).  Perhaps this is because the
encoding of the movies is not at a high level (yet).  The sound from the PS3
games and Blu-Ray movies is very impressive.  If I notice anything that's
different, it is the sound more than the video.  My TV is 1080 HD.  The web
bowser is very bad.  I am not impressed that the PS3 is an entertainment
center.  Hopefully a future firmware upgrade will fix all this?

I have not loaded Linux on it yet.  I am trying to find time among the other
projects that are demanding my time.

- Steve N7HPR