RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Costas Loop question

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Costas Loop question
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:56:48 -0500

[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of >
Steven Clark
> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 4:16 PM
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Costas Loop question
>
> Is there any reason why the Costas carrier recovery loop used in the
dqpsk.py example would not be suitable for similar use
> in a gmsk receiver?
>
> TIA
> -Steven

Steven,

You should be able to. I've used it in an AM receiver before to get better
carrier lock. The GMSK is fairly tolerant of frequency offsets, though, so
the Costas loop would increase the computational complexity and it shouldn't
be necessary (except under exceptional circumstances) that a change in
frequency wouldn't correct. The FM receiver and the M&M do a bit of carrier
correction themselves. Top of my head, I think about +-4 kHz max.

Tom