Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA Questions

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA Questions
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:13:22 -0500

On 2/24/07, Thibaud Hottelier <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I have dived into the fpga code and I have now much clearer picture of
what is going on, but also much more questions :)

The Tx CORDIC is disabled in the code I checked out. Why?

I could be wrong, but I think the TX CORDIC is disabled due to the
fact that the samples being delivered over USB are already complex.
Any other frequency translation is done within the AD9862 transmit
path.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have failed to find a description of how to control the AD9862 chip on
the Analog Device web site. Where is this documented?

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/AD9860_9862.pdf

I would like to be able to choose the power level and the channel used
to transmit every packets. To choose the channel, is it possible to
tweak the CIC Decimating filter to slightly alter the signal frequency
or is it a better idea to do it in the AD9862?
How can I choose the power level? To me, it looks like this job has to
be done on the daughter board.

By channel, do you mean I/Q or do you mean specific frequencies?  You
should always drive the baseband signal going out to the AD9862 to
full scale to minimize quantization noise - but transmit power should
be controlled via an auxiliary DAC that is on the AD9862 and being
sent to the daughterboard.  Does that make sense?

On a side note, the CIC filters on the TX side are interpolating - not
decimating.

Best regards,
Thibaud

Good luck,