Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Wanted to Buy

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Wanted to Buy
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:02:53 -0700 (PDT)

You sound like me.  I'm wanting to combine radio with Asterisk.
The two are complementary.  wouldn't it be neat to be able to
call up on 70cm band and exchange voice mail?  Or use Asterisk
as a kind of audio switch to bridge UHF <--> HF.  A million
other things I can think of.

Back to GNU Radio.  I'm not able to spend the $$ for A
USRP either.  My plan is to go with a quality sound card.  One
of the USB or Firewire "audiophile" types to get started then
my next step would be to get a better AD/DAC and buy an older,
used HF radio, Something in the $250 price range and modify it
such that the IF is made available on a coax connector on the
back panel.

If you have a sound card, that's all you need to get started.