Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] undersampling with USRP

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] undersampling with USRP
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:56:16 -0700

Jonathan Gill wrote:

Hi all,

I’m having some problems with sub-sampling signals using with the USRP. I currently have the board connected to a signal generator with a sinusoidal input at 0dBm. I’m using the usrp_rx_cfile.py script from USRP examples with the -8 –s and --no-hb flags and a decimation of 4 and –f 0 (no down conversion).

This gives me an output file with interleaved I and Q samples (with one set being empty due to –f 0), this works fine up to Nyquist frequency (8MHz, as sampling frequency is 64/4 = 16MHz) but beyond this the operation is not as expected. At 10MHz I expect to see a single sinusoidal component at 6MHz, however this is corrupted by a strong component at 2MHz, and at any frequency above 10MHz no signal is recorded. Any suggestions? (I have checked the signal generator, it is working fine)

In complex sampling, 16 MS/s gives you a frequency range of +/- 8 MHz. A signal at +10 MHz would alias to -6 MHz, not plus 6.

In any case, the [digital] antialiasing filters are removing the signal once it goes beyond 8 MHz. You can sub-sample signals at the ADC since there is no anti-aliasing there (assuming you use a BasicRX), but digitally we have antialiasing filters in the decimation.

Matt