Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QE: Cognitve radio network with USRP

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QE: Cognitve radio network with USRP
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 10:28:16 -0700

Heskamp, M. (Marnix) wrote:

> Can someone give me some advice about building a wireless network with
> USRP boxes? How difficulty is it to build a MAC layer on top of a USRP
> physical layer? Has someone have experience with that? What order of
> magnitude is the average latency between the moment the signal is at the
> antenna and the moment you can act upon it in software?

The GNU Radio software currently has an example implementation of a CSMA
MAC that allows multiple USRPs to be configured as network cards sharing
a common frequency.  This allows, for example, binding a TCP/IP stack
and using traditional networking applications over the radio.

> We are considering to buy some USRPs to experiment with in our cognitive
> radio project. The goal of the project is to set up a wireless network
> as secondary users without interfering with primary users.

This is certainly feasible.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC