Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Build problem (from SVN)

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Build problem (from SVN)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:30:08 -0700

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 08:38:16PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Just to confirm that a new checkout and configure did not help.
>  > >
>  > > Any other suggestions?
>  > >
>  > > Thanks,
>  > >
>  > > Matt
>  >
>  > Try adding /usr/local/lib64 to ld.so.conf in addition to
>  > /usr/local/lib, then run ldconfig.
>  >
>  > Eric
>
> Eric,
>
> OK, I tried that - but I still get the same error message. I don't
> understand why this should work - no libraries have been installed to
> /usr/local yet, so why do I need to alter the ldconfig path? (Or is
> this a strange 'feature' of libtool?)
>
> Thanks again for all your help,
>
> Matt

Are you specifying

  --prefix <FOO>

to the configure command?

If so, you'll need to add <FOO>/lib and <FOO>/lib64 to ld.so.conf.
This bogus requirement is a result of a seriously flawed "fix" by the
Debian libtool maintainer ( != the upstream libtool maintainer).  The
changes that Debian has made (which Ubuntu uses) break the ability to
test code before installation.  The full story is kind of involved,
and has to do with them coding a --rpath into the executables BEFORE
they are installed.

Eric