Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:04:46 -0700

Ian Larsen wrote:

> I assume this also true for the BasicRX daughterboard?  (Doesn't do
> downconversion, but does do analog multiplication to get I and Q?)

Almost. The boards don't do anything with the signal, but have separate
I and Q inputs that go to the ADCs as is.

On the FPGA, however, there are digital mixers that you can use to
convert a center frequency down to baseband, so you get a complex I and
Q signal out of that, even if you only supply a signal to the I input.
That is what is actually happening when you "tune" a BasicRX or LFRX board.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC