[Discuss-gnuradio] My SRP - Problem deciding on the RF Front End design.

From: Prasanna Rao
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] My SRP - Problem deciding on the RF Front End design.. need help.
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:58:00 +0530

Hello everyone,

I am planning to implement a small software-defined radio with a bandwidth of say 50-300 MHz at first. The system should be able to receive AM, FM, PM signals over the mentioned RF spectrum with upto 10MHZ baseband information. This would require an IF of at least around 11-12MHz. Can u ppl help me in choosing an appropriate RF front-end design for the hardware system?

I am facing a problem in selecting the right analog down-conversion system design which would possess a good IMRR, sufficient linearity and an acceptable SNR over the desired bandwidth. If I am to tune my radio through the software, which I want to, I'll have to set dynamic filter characteristics to the RF amplifier stage(before mixing) to facilitate image rejection. Can a superheterodyne down-conversion serve my requirement?? If not, what kind of receiver system should I use..? Is Direct-Conversion technique implementable in my case? Please share your knowledge on these matters.

I basically want a 10MHz IF for being able to receive Cable TV signals as well. Of course this will be quiet complicated but I will try to doing it. With that I may try touching ISM bands later at some pt when I have the required receive-boards..

Waiting for your response.

Regards,
Prasanna