[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: laptop recommendations

From: John Stralka
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: laptop recommendations
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

<< In any case, if anybody uses a laptop with ubuntu and gnuradio, I'd love
to know about it, because I need to buy a laptop for some testing.
Preferably something on the cheaper side, but not a 8 lbs brick. >> ... I have
successfully run basic GNU Radio flowgraphs with full 32 MB/s USB 2.0
connectivity on a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 laptop.  You can find them for
relatively cheap (around $599 USD) from places like Best Buy when they're on
sale.  They are not the fastest or best, but seem to do ok.  I cleaned off the
pre-installed Microsoft Vista and installed Ubunutu Feisty Fawn (7.04) without
any problem.  Everything worked (including the built-in wireless network
adapter) under Ubuntu with the exception of the media card reader, but I didn't
spend too much time looking for fixes.  The ThinkPad T60 would be great, but if
you're really strapped for money, this Toshiba laptop might suffice.

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/