Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:51:35 -0700 (PDT)

I have the same problem here in our lab.  I need faster I/O.  We
have a Sun Sunfire V490 with 32GB RAM and 8 CPUs but poor performance.
I'm sure the answer will be to add more disks.  Not faster disk but
more spindles.  Possibly another disk controller too.

You can compute the maximum possible sequential I/O rate.  It's easy:
Look at how many blocks are in one track and how long it takes the disk
to make one revolution (at 7200 RPM) then you will know how many bits
per second fly under the read/write head.  This places an upper bound
on the sustained I/O rate.  The best way to go ftrs is to run multiple
drives in parallel.  But then the bus or controller becomes the bottle
neck so on our Sunfire I think we might need another controler, ned to
run tests to get real numbers.

Look up the size of the track and the RPm and see if 32MB.Sec is
reasonable for your drive.  You really want the drive to closer to 50%
or 70% of maximum.  And yes you need your data recording drives for no
other purpose

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden
  KG6OMK

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.