Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help needed with FPGA

From: Dhaval Shah
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help needed with FPGA
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:40:52 -0400

Thank you Brian and Mande.

>> Something you may want to try to do is focus on the TX side of things.
>>
>> RX is generally the harder part of radio communications, and probably
>> wouldn't work out too well inside of an FPGA that is already pretty
>> full.  TX on the other hand is all just simple permutations, look up
>> tables, and maybe some filtering to stay within band.
>>
>> You can probably write a decent M-QAM mapper, convolutional encoder,
>> interleaver, etc and not have it take up too much room other than some
>> registers and block rams.  If you wanted to get more complex, a GMSK
>> mapper might also be interesting.
>>
>> An interesting consequence of doing this is that your TX bandwidth
>> goes significantly down since you don't have to pump 16-bit I/Q values
>> over the bus, just your raw data rate.  This allows for a USRP setup
>> to both TX and RX to have more USB bandwidth dedicated to the real
>> processing (RX) and not just some LUTS (TX).
>>
>> Brian

I have been tracking this topic for sometime now. I am working on a similar problem.

Would it be a better idea to use a Reed Solomon encoder (http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/rsencoder/overview ) and
Reed Solomon decoder ( http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/rs_decoder_31_19_6/overview  ) from OpenCores.com
to start with? It might be interesting to make it work with the USRP.

Both the encoder and the decoder are written in Verilog and are in Production/Stable stage.

I have just started to work with USRP and any help on the above topic would be helpful to me.

Thanks.

Dhaval.