Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA sample timestamps

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FPGA sample timestamps
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:22:32 -0400

Hi Roshan,

With the in-band signaling implementation we have added timestamps to all data across the USB bus. You can find the new packet structure here:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/doc/inband-signaling-usb

I'm not sure what kind of application you want to create or use, but if you're building something from scratch you can use some of the test files we have created as the base framework:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/host/apps-inband

If you take a look at test_usrp_inband_rx.cc, it extracts the timestamp here:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/host/apps-inband/test_usrp_inband_rx.cc#L308

A more extensive use of the timestamp field on the transmit side is here:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/trunk/usrp/host/apps-inband/test_usrp_inband_timestamps.cc

It uses timestamps to space out transmissions on the USRP.

The caveat is that this code is written using the new m-block, and there is still no connection between m-block's and standard GR blocks yet. *pings Eric* :)

The in-band signaling uses new FPGA code for handling the new USB block format and the RBF is not provided anywhere in the source tree. If you choose to use this, you can either build the FPGA code yourself using the 'inband-usb' code, or you can just e-mail me and I will send you our newest prebuilt RBF.

The final warning is that the FPGA code in the trunk has an RX problem which causes it to lock up. The code in 'branches/developers/zhuochen/inband' includes the fix, we are waiting for 1 more piece of code to be implemented before merging down. (just in case you want to try and build yourself)

- George

Roshan Baliga wrote:
Hi all,

For one of our applications we think we need timestamps for some or all samples coming across the USB bus. I know there was some mention of this a while ago on the list, but I didn't find an open ticket on Trac.

Obviously we would submit our changes back to gnuradio for inclusion in the project. For this reason, I'd like to know what requirements gnuradio has for FPGA timestamps, and what work, if any, has been done on this so far.

Thanks,
 Roshan Baliga