Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] simple question

From: Caleb Phillips
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] simple question
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:43:47 -0600

What's the difference between a access point and a
wireless network card in a pc/laptop?
For what it's worth, I think this is the most correct one:

Or is there only a difference in what the drivers provided
by the makers allow you to do?
But, as Brian pointed out, this is a bit off-topic as it doesn't
deal specifically with gnuradio.

I saw this project only recently, perhaps I'm mistaking the
real point of it.
Isn't it, among the others, that of reproducing in software
with a generic radio device the operations of more specific
devices, such as gps, tv, fm, gprs, wi-fi, remote controls,
and the like?

I suppose that's one purpose. Why it was off topic is that you didn't ask about how you might do this with the gnuradio platform, or in general how
it might be done with SDR, you simply asked a question about how 802.11
radios work, and that is better answered elsewhere (like wikipedia, or
the IEEE specs, or an O'Reilly publication).

I thought that someone could have reproduced in software
the functioning of an access point or a wifi card.

Some progress has been made to this end. You'll find plenty of discussion
in the list archives about it. I'd suggest you start there:

http://swcurl.com/BBDYW
http://swcurl.com/LdWLl

Or, if you like big links:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=802.11&submit=Search%21&idxname=discuss-gnuradio&max=20&result=normal&sort=score