Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC on OSX?

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC on OSX?
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 00:35:35 -0400

WX is only used with the wxgui stuff. GRC can would function fine without WX, or the wxgui blocks. And flow graphs can be run in a non graphical mode.

Basically, the test imports are all things that the Editor uses. gtk, pyxml... and wx for running the flow graphs. I decided on the "import tests" after many emails of error verbose because something like pyxml was not installed. Thoughts?

I dont know how to just inspect the python environment to "see" if a module exists, without importing it (or possibly doing something messy with PYTHONPATH).

Perhaps we can still fix this situation by deleting the module from sys.modules after each test import. With the GRC trunk, as is: can you try and change Editor.py and see if it runs:

try: __import__(module)

------to--------

try:
   __import__(module)
   sys.modules.pop(module) #of course, import sys at the top

Improvement?
-Josh

Michael Dickens wrote:
Does GRC using WX for anything until running a flow-graph? I assume it's included because of the scopes and such in gr-wxgui? I tried running some of the examples, and they bring up the WX GUI scopes just fine.

If I remove 'wx' from the modules check list in Editor.py, then GRC brings up its GUI. Quite strange. If I try:
---
python
 >>> import wx
 >>> import xml.parsers.pyexpat
---

Good lord...

then I get the bus error. Obviously Python has issues with the combined WX and xml.parsers.pyexpat, but I truly know not why. This doesn't happen with any other modules that are used by GRC, at least in my quick checking.

Thus I retract my belief that it's a GRC issue ... 0.65 didn't do the import modules check, which is why it "works".