Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 and OpenSuSE 10.3

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PS3 and OpenSuSE 10.3
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:02:22 -0700

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 04:38:20PM -0400, Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed today that OpenSuSE 10.3 is just released so I browsed
> around.  I will be upgrading to 10.3 in a few days after download.
>
> I am interested in the PS3 as well so I thought it was great that it is
> directly PS3 installable.
> http://en.opensuse.org/PS3
>
> I remember some comments that Python appears to be broken on the PS3 and
> wonder if the Version 2.5.1 packages in 10.3 would address some of the
> problems?
>
> 73 Eric (insert letter after B here)

Hi Eric,

If you want to run on the PS3, you're most likely going to want the
IBM SDK 3.0.  The SDK really, really wants FC 7 on the PS3.

Although SuSE 10.1 may install, I don't think it's what you want.

I'll write up the seriously convoluted install procedure that is required
to get FC 7 on the PS3 along with a known-good PS3 specific kernel,
and the IBM SDK 3.0 a bit later today.

If you want to get a head start, download the Fedora-7-ppc DVD iso and
burn it to a DVD:

  http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

You'll also need Geoff Levand's (Sony Linux kernel guy) 2007-08-31
ADDON disk:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20070831-ADDON.iso

Download and burn it to CD. It's got a PS3 specific 2.6.23 kernel on
it, along with the PS3 boot loader, and other magic pieces.

Eric, K7GNU