Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: in-band signaling project overview

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: in-band signaling project overview
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:13:25 -0400

On 10/12/07, Jeff Brower <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think the biggest concerns with Cyclone I are lack of multipliers and low
> amount of
> internal mem (26 kbyte for the EPC1C12).

Understandable, but also remember that a CORDIC can perform a
multiplication if you want it pipelined - and if you have a 64MHz
clock with data coming out at 1Msps, you can perform a 64-tap FIR
filter with only 1 multiplier instantiated.

I can see where it is a concern, but it should be able to be
circumvented relatively easily.  I think a simple rake receiver might
be possible at something like 1Msps and a 64MHz clock in that FPGA.

> 802.11b (more specifically VoIP-over-WiFi), GSM (EDGE), and eventually 3G
> (HSDPA)
> waveforms.  I've seen discussions and specific deadline figures for 802.11b,
> but not
> yet for the others -- do you know any web pages that show comparisons?
> Thanks.

I have not seen discussions with regards to those times, but I think
GSM and HSDPA will be difficult strictly from an encryption
standpoint.  I thought the algorithms used for those protocols were
under wraps and portions of the key are in your SIM card?

As a curious note, why do you think there is a big push to do
standards that are out there and already implemented efficiently in
dedicated silicon?

Do you have any intention on creating your own MAC protocol?

Brian